29 April 2013

Life in the Paddock

Hey everyone! I am back!

It took me some time because now I live a life of a farmer :) Living in the remote place, far away from civilization and growing bananas and from time to time going bananas as well :)

You might ask, what the hell are you doing there? Well, as you might know or don't know. I am in Australia on working holiday visa which can be extended for another 12 months once I complete 3 months of farm work. which in total will give me a 24 months in Australia. Plenty of time to figure out the way to stay here permanently. So this is what I am doing!


Main thing about it is that I am enjoying my time in here. Working whole day outside, walking alongside banana trees and enjoying the sun, rain and animals in Queensland. Some people refer to this like "walking in the paradise".

When you think about it... it is a paradise :p I am climbing trees and they pay me for that! well when I was young and someone would said to me that I can climb trees and get paid for it! I wouldn't believe that!!
Yeah I climb the trees, clip and bag the bunches, then I cut and hump them. In the mean time I could do some de-leafing or stringing or just simply driving a tractor. Yes!! I am a farmer big time! with my big tractor :P

Time fly here, working 6 days a week for the most weeks I am half way through my planned time in here. I am starting week 8. not that I am counting but It is good to know where I am.

Also being in the paddock whole day give me an opportunity to experience and meet the wild life :) Snakes, spiders, wallabies, frogs, bats, possums and kookaburras are just one of the few animals which I see every day:) well it makes every day at work more interesting. Especially when you encounter the more dangerous and venomous species :) especially a Brown Snake - on the picture below having a lunch in the paddock.


Or spiders - the bigger ones like this one.

or just small green frogs :)

Or some interesting plant which are sensitive to touch.
Full of fun and amusement.

Apart from that when I have a day off, there is a plenty things to do in Tablelands and together with fellow Tolga Lodgers we try to fill the void between the work with some activities :)

But that is a material for a whole chapter, so it will follow shortly.

Anyways all good in here, everything is going well and I might say that I am "living the dream" :)

Till later and all the best from small Tolga in Queensland.

A.



2 comments:

Rob Lopeti Go said...

Reading through this post brings up some memories... totally know what it feels like to walk through the banana plants, and we called 'de-leafing' thrashing at the Westcoast. Btw do you have a car or does your farmer pick you up in the morning? All the best and enjoy, believe me it's gonna be one of the best experiences in your life, which is hard to repeat if you're not going to own a farm some day... this said, guess what's one of my bucketlist items :) bye, Rob

Alex said...

thanks Rob! that means we are on the same page! :) we have a bus from our accommodation which brings us to the farm. And the farm is owned by Costa Exchange which is a huge company, more like a corporation so the working conditions are really good! I em enjoying it a lot :) learning new things every day:)

let mu guess: Own a farm? :)

A.